Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday: Occupied Japan




Can you believe it is Vintage Thingies Thursday again. For a real treat, stop by Coloradolady's blog for all the great vintage news and items.



The Japanese economy was devastated when World War II ended. While the Americans occupied Japan from 1945 to 1952, the Japanese needed to secure necessary currency. During this time, they made thousands of antique figurines for export.

Featured below are the only ones I have picked up over the years. Some came from family estates. I probably got a wild hair, and bought one or two at garage sales or elsewhere. Guess I was thinking to make a mint on them in time to come. However, those I have seen in antique shows are priced more than I would pay. I do not believe there is too big a demand. Nevertheless, I am keeping mine. Doubt the next generation will appreciate them as I do.








Thank you for stopping by. Visits are appreciated.

16 comments:

Postcardy said...

I don't think I have any Occupied Japan thingies, but I do remember when "Made in Japan" meant cheap & not very good. Now these things look quaint & charming.

Bea said...

I know the auctioneers always make sure every one knows when things are made in occupied Japan. Your pieces are wonderful. I'm sure others in your family will feel the same.

Coloradolady said...

Now pay attention to Bea's comment....yes you have family members who think these are wonderful too! I love them all, they are so cute!

Great post and love your pictures!!

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

super cute miniatures.. happy VTT

Roslyn said...

I would keep them too, they are very quaint!

Keetha Broyles said...

I have one little tea cup with saucer that is from occupied Japan.

Love your little people.

A Thrifty Mrs said...

What unsual items. I've never seen anything like those before.

Becky said...

Sooo cute! I need to research to see in any of my little people are from Occupied Japan!

Thanks for sharing and Happy VTT!

Donna said...

Sweet sweet VTT's

ClassyChassy said...

I joined as a follower - your blog is interesting - great post today!

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Looking upon these bring back memories of what my mom and grandmother had displayed about the house.
Thanks for sharing and have a great day!

Anonymous said...

My grandmother's favorite yard sale finds were "occupied Japan" items -she had a hutch full of little statues that she'd discovered, and a story to go with each one. Thank you for the "memory lane" moment!!

Susan said...

I am always on the lookout for teacups that were made in occupied Japan--they are hard to find around me. I don't think Detroit liked to import much from Japan--at least not back then.

★Carol★ said...

Oh, they're all so sweet! I only have a couple pieces, but I'm always looking for more!

Anonymous said...

They're adorable LV. I take it you like piano? What delightful musicians!

Amy said...

Those are lovely LV, good spotting :-)