Wednesday, May 20, 2009

VINTAGE THINGIES THURSDAY: Antique Telephone

Welcome to my next Vintage Thingies Thursday. For more vintage goodies go to Coloradolady's blog and check out all the fun and vintage items that are displayed there today!
Bear in mind, this is my first post trying to use my new digital camera. It has been a challenge.

This wood wall telephone was among the first made available to the public in 1900's. My late husband's aunt gave it to us. He was her favorite nephew, and I worked for the telephone company. In her later years, she felt it appropriate that we have it. It is in excellent condition, with all original parts.

In this time frame, telephone company did not have enough lines to provide each customer with an individual telephone. There might be one to three people on the same line. This was called a "Party Line". Each person had a separate ring - one, two or three rings. If your ring was three, you knew to answer it, etc. In a small neighborhood, everyone new all about your business. So when the telephone rang, regardless of the number of rings, most of the ones on the same line, would pickup and listen. No doubt, there were times, they got an ear full. They did not know what the privacy law was then.

I use it to display some of my smaller treasures. On top are artificial flowers in a vintage glass doorknob. Bottom shelf, two small, old crochet doilies.

I appreciate your stopping by, and hope you enjoyed another of my vintage shows.

16 comments:

Coloradolady said...

As always, you have great vintage items. Love the story that goes with this family treasure. This phone has always been a favorite to me, love it. Happy VTT.

JEWELGIRL said...

Rare to see a telephone like this in
such Fab condition! It is indeed a
true family and history treasure.

Unknown said...

That is so cool, putting a flower in a doorknob!
Thanks for explaining party lines. Many people have never heard of them!

CC said...

Oooo, I love your telephone. What a treasure you have. Happy VTT..have a great weekend.

Keetha Broyles said...

When I was a child my Aunt and Uncle on the farm in Wisconsin HAD a phone like this - - - it was their only phone, and I remember them cranking out the rings.

Later when they "upgraded" to a single party line with it's newer phone, they placed this one in their bedroom and another very similar to it in the barn so they could call back and forth during chores.

Good memories.

Marie Reed said...

This is amazing! teehee:).... I think that i WOULD have listened in too:)

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

wow.. you still have this vintage telephone.. what an item! very rare! happy VTT

Miri said...

This is just wonderful! Rare to see at all and in such great condition! Just wonderful!

A Thrifty Mrs said...

That telephone is wonderful. How lovely to be given it to have in your home.

Postcardy said...

That's a really fun thing to have and a nice thing to display. Even the modern dial phones seem quaint now, but they wouldn't make a very good display item.

SueLovesCherries said...

What a great piece of history and Americana - they just don't make 'em like they used to!

The bad thing about party lines was that you couldn't place a call if one of the other parties was chatting. You'd have to wait!

JAS-- said...

That looks like the same phone my Mother had in the 70s. It was the latest thing to gut the phone and replace it with a radio for the kitchen. Dad never got around to that, but Mom loved the look of the empty phone hanging on the wall of her country decorated kitchen.

Yours is a wonderful story. I'm glad your phone remained intact.

Bea said...

LV, I applaud your use of technology! Challenge or not, you did a great job with the pictures.

Love you phone. Have always wanted one. We still had a party line in rural KS in the 70's.

Unknown said...

Sadly, when my father bought an old house on Long Island to get his family out of the city, there was a phone like this in the house that my mother thought was an old piece of junk!!! Ughh! I don't know where I get my passion for old vintage and antique items. I would die for that phone. Thanks for sharing! Stop by and see my table setting, if you like what you see, be sure to subscribe to my blog by clicking on "Follow" in the right hand column. This way we can inspire one another frequently! Be sure to stay a while when you're there and enjoy the experience!

farmlady said...

My Great Aunt who lived on a farm in the Napa Valley had a black phone that sat on a little table in the dining room and it was a multiple party line phone. I remember her telling me that I was only to pick up the phone and answer it when it rang twice. Once I saw her pick it up and listen on one ring. When I asked her why, she said that it was a mistake and I should go outside and play. Whoa!
Guess you couldn't keep too many secrets in a small town.
Your phone is beautiful and you're so lucky to have it.
You will get use to the new camera fast. Take a look at Picasa 3 (just google it) It's a free online photo storage program that's really great for Blogs.

Neabear said...

What a cool phone! I think it is neat that you still have it. Looks great. I am also impressed that you have a blog. Way to go! My mother turns 79 this year. Well, so does my dad, on Sunday! Have a great weekend!!