Wednesday, May 4, 2011

VTT&First,Fifth,Forever



Since Coloradolady is our hostess for both of these blogs, I am combining mine today. Her Vintage Thingies Thursday fell on her First,Fifth,Forever day. Both of these blogs are very interesting. Check them out at http://coloradolady.blogspot.com.

This little restaurant is the Vintage portion of my post. This place was established by an Ole Miss student in his family's circa-1856 Commissary, The Hollywood Cafe. It offered down-home meals in a quaint, relaxed atmosphere. Legend has it that the fried dill pickle was invented in this cafe.
The Hollywood Cafe has been a tradition in the Delta since 1969. The original Cafe was destroyed by fire in 1984. The restaurant reopened a year later at this present location in another rustic, turn-of-the-century building.


I had the pleasure of dining at this restaurant recently honoring a couple's 61st wedding anniversary. One thing for sure, when checking out places to eat, it is kinda like a book. You cannot judge a book by its cover nor a restaurant as to its outside appearance. This Hollywood Cafe is southern dining at its best! I did give this senior couple an anniversary card and treated to them dinner here.

Two of my dearest senior friends celebrated a 76th and 80th birthday May l. We have been friend since 1964. Circumstances caused them to move to Arkansas several years ago. We have kept in touch. I sent him this card and her a nicer one. They are going to be surprised when they open their cards and find the dollar bill.

I have cards to mail to Beth, in Wisconsin, who will be 65 May 9th. Also, Mabel from California, who will be in her 80's on May 24.

Along with my senior honorees, there were a few more important dates to remember. One was our own blogging hostess, Suzanne (Coloradolady) and her husband, Steve, for their 25th wedding anniversary, May 4th. Since you reached the silver level of marriage, may the rest of the way be paved in gold.

Another very important 10th anniversary was May 5th. My grand daughter and her husband made it ten years. I am so pleased and blessed having them in my life. This is the card I sent them.


I am big on buying and sending cards. I mailed several other cards. Three thank you and numerous Mother's day greetings.

SPECIAL SENIOR CLOSING

This Texas senior was pleasantly surprised this week. One of my blogging friends, Elizabeth from Sweden, sent me this greeting. She was on vacation in Amsterdam and thought of me. Go to her web site http://petiteyekiss.blogspot.com to see her actual photos from that beautiful place. Blogging friends just cannot be beat!

19 comments:

Tracy said...

LV,
I'm big on sending cards as well...in fact, my th graders from last year are preparing and taking End of Grade tests starting Tuesday so I need to write notes wishing them good luck and get them in the mail by Saturday. I think they'll enjoy getting them.
take good care Lady...

Tete said...

I love to eat at those places that look like a hole in a wall, but we have learned not to look at the name or outside of a building. You check for how many cars are in the parking lot.
The Hollywood Cafe looks like me place to go. Love the interior decor. Local owned mom and pop shops that have been around forever are becoming harder and harder to find around here. The younger folks don't want to do the hard work day in and day out that it takes to keep the doors open and the hash on the grill.
Love the fish card! And the postcard you got! It's so much fun to get them in the mail!
Have a great night, LV.
Hugs- Tete

Unknown said...

I am alway's up for a history lesson...thanks for sharing and happy birthday to your friends! Have a delightful week remaining...Mica/The Child's paper

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Awesome to have friends all over! And what a special mailbox treat they will find with your great cards! :o)

Oh! And I love to check out different restaurants! How fun it would be to just travel all around and try all the different favorite dining places!

Blessings & Aloha!
Thank you for taking the time to visit! I love to find your comments...like getting a special bit of mail in my blog box ;o)

Ginny Hartzler said...

You choose great cards. I spend a lot of time picking out the right cards for people. It is so much nicer getting a hand written greeting than an e-mail! It shows you really cared to take the time. I'm am afraid they will be going out of style. What a strange yet interesting place that restaraunt looks like.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I really like how you take the time to pick and mail a special card for each one.How thoughtful of you!

Paulette said...

I love modest looking diners like The Hollywood that you've shown here, especially when the food is so good you keep coming back again and again.

The Old Parsonage said...

Looks like a fun place to eat. I love places like this.

I'm sure everyone loved getting all your notes and cards. It's always fun to get real mail.

Enjoy!
Leann

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

The anniversary card looks like your blog! Love going to what some consider a hole in the wall for a great meal....I would much rather go to a place like that than a chain restaurant.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You are a good friend to so many people La Voice -- both virtually -- your blog friends -- and in real life! We are all lucky to know you.

Anonymous said...

Well, it looks like we're just going to have to make a stop at The Hollywood cafe on our next trip to Mississippi. The Hub has a sister there, so we go annually. Fried pickles are a favorite of ours! Is the cafe in Oxford? Or farther south?

jeanne said...

Hello LV. I think your post is so sweet. You are thoughtful and the fact that you remember special occasions with cards is awesome. I love the Hollywood Cafe. I am on my way to Suzanne's post to wish her a Happy Silver Anniversary. Thanks for the shout out.
Hugs, Jeanne

Naomi said...

Thank you for leaving a comment. I like the second photo it looks like the cafe has a crown on the top.

Crystal said...

I always intend to send cards but, somehow they never make it!!! I love all the cards and love to receive them....I think I should do better!!!

diane b said...

You sure are right. never judge a restaurant by its looks. I usually check if it is crowded or not. The crowded ones are usually good. It is important to keep in touch with friends your health will benefit from doing so.

deb said...

The restaurant looks like a very interesting place to eat..I love restaurants with alot of history.

Your receipients of the cards will be so delighted to receive something in the mail other than bills!
Have a great day!
*hugs*deb

DoanLegacy said...

Oh you're such a gem! I haven't sending out any cards for so long. For one thing cards are so expensive nowadays and they got tossed out so quick.

Happy birthday to your friends!

Keetha Broyles said...

I'd like to eat at the Hollywood Cafe!!

Debbie Baker Burns said...

I love eating at local dives and this one looks so inviting. Wished I lived near!