Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Vintage Hand/Ring


My Vintage Thingies for Thursday is a little different today. I rarely share personal things in my life. However, wanted to warn you never wear something that you cannot get off. I do recommend you stop Coloradolady's place and see some great vintage things. You can go to http://coloradolady.blogspot.com or click  her button.





Most of us have one hand or foot larger than the other.  In my case, my right hand is a whole size larger than my left.  Back in the 80s, I had several rings that fit my left hand, but none for the right. So I decided I would put one on my right hand ring finger. The knuckle on that ring finger was much larger than the others. When I was a young girl playing ball, that finger was hurt is why the knuckle is bigger. With a lot of soap and lotions, I manged to it get on.

I am not one of those that takes their jewelery off when you should at times.   I felt that was fine, it was very special to me and had no intention of removing it.  I had several other rings that fit my left hand that I wanted to wear..  Bear in mind, I  have worn this ring working in the yard or any other dirty work for several years.




In the event some of you do not think the ring is vintage enough, the hand that wears it definitely is. This is the hand I wore the ring on.  My thumb did not get into this shot.  If you will notice, my ring finger( third from the left) is red just below the knuckle.  This is the result of a major procedure. It stayed red and black for several days.




                                                                                                  
After working in my yard, I was washing my hands and felt something sharp on my ring.  Upon closer look, one of the prongs was sticking up that protected the stone. Took it to March Jewelers for checking.  I highly recommend them to people in  my area that might be reading this. I thought they could tightened the prong on my finger.  I certainly thought wrong. They said they had not cut a ring off in a long time. Well today, they got plenty practice.



Far an hour and half I went through this nerve wracking experience. He had to use this tool to cut the ring off.

He put the cutter under my ring and twisted the saw by hand until he could not turn it anymore. That round thing is  a saw. He asked another employee to take over far a few minutes.  The band on my ring was so heavy and thick, it took forever  to cut through it.When they slid the plate under my ring, and started  cutting process, it made the ring tighter on my finger. Which was very painful. Since I was not freaked out enough, the second fellow using the saw, slightly  nicked my hand.  If you look close, you will see a red spot on my hand. Needless to say, I was really stressed after this ordeal. Took me and hand a couple of days to get over this.




A loud "pop" sounded when they finally cut through the band. However, it still  would not go over my knuckle.  They had to take these type pliers and  pull the band wide apart  to get it off my finger.


This is the ring back in its original look.  I do not wear my rings now except if I am going somewhere.  I have learned my lesson well. This one is from the 80's but



this one is from 1950's.













25 comments:

Pat said...

Years ago I had to have my wedding ring and engagement ring cut off. I was pregnant and my hands swelled. The circulation was being cut off and my husband cut them off with wire snips in the middle of the night. At least my rings were thin. So glad the jeweler was able get your ring off.

Antiques And Teacups said...

My husband was a diamond setter and jeweler for 40 years, and cut off a lot of rings. Sometimes you just have to! I LOVE your 1950s setting!
Happy VTT.
Ruth

Keetha Broyles said...

Some beautiful rings! Sorry you had to have one cut off.

I went through that about 10 years ago, but mine was cut off in the emergency room one night when my finger began to swell and the ring was actually HURTING me.

Unknown said...

Wow, that's a good story. Thanks for sharing.

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Oh LV, I'm so sorry you had to go through that, what an ordeal.

Your rings are lovely!

Happy VTT!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Since my weight has fluctuated all of my adult life, my rings can go from being loose to being VERY tight.... I had to get them off once when I was going to have surgery on my knee. I got them off ---but it wasn't easy.... Never have had to have one cut off though....

Sorry you had to go through that... YIPES.
Hugs,
Betsy

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

You didn't mention it that I saw - but did you get it sized larger so you can wear with ease of removal?

What a scary thing.

When I was a very young girl in 1969 my big sister's girlfriend has pierced ears (unthinkable to my mother at the time.) She spent the night. I will never forget them - they were dangly metal hot pink circles from a wire. They were little circles, just about the right size for a young girl's fingers.

Yes. I put them on both my hands and proceeded to get them very stuck. The more I pulled the more swollen my fingers became.

It was NOT fun having to get my Dad and have to get them cut off, because my blood circulation was affected.

I was so young and freaked out - wonder (I hope) that we paid her for her ruined earrings.

You know I had forgotten all about that till I read your post.

George said...

I'm sorry you had to go through this procedure to get the ring off and repaired. But I'm glad they got the ring off your finger and repaired. Both rings are beautiful.

Light and Voices said...

What an ordeal. Sorry to hear you had to go through all that.
Joyce M

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

Ahhh Poor LV!
I'm sorry that you had to go through this! I hope you iced your hand afterwards! My Grandma has been wearing a ring for years because she can't get it off. Luckily it doesn't cause her pain.
I love your 1950's ring the most.
Take Care, Erica

Shabby Marilyn said...

You poor thing! Thanks for the tip. For me, I have a habit of taking my wedding ring off during working on projects, etc. It can slip off when hands are wet. One time my precious ring slip off when washing my hand in a ugly dirty Gas Station and flew right into the toliet, I made a dive for it and got it before going down!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Stunning rings LV! Of course your fingers are more precious and wow, I'm so glad they could take them off from you..what a procedure, poor baby! Years ago when my children were small, we had potatoes growing in our veggie patch at home and we were picking them with hubby and the girls and I hadn't taken off my ROLEX watch and when I went to take it off to go to sleep, there was no watch!!, so I had to wait and look in day time for it all over the potato patch and finally found it after a couple of hours, buried in the soil, lol!! I'm glad all is well for you sweet lady.
FABBY

the cape on the corner said...

oh.my.stinking.goodness. an hour and a half you had to sit and wait while they tried and tried? you brave soul, you!

RobinfromCA said...

Oh, wow! And hour and a half is such a long time to sit still and keep your hand out! Your rings are beautiful and I can see why you love wearing them. I would too!
Robin

Anonymous said...

OH MY! hour and a half is to long :/ you have gorgeous rings i love them..

Carie said...

I will miss your ring on your finger, Meme! It has been apart of you for some time now and has more meaning than words can say. That was just my Meme's hands! Your hands with ring or not will ALWAYS be special to me! I love you so very much,
Carie

bj said...

OMYGOODNESS...I know this just made you so nervous. It sure would have made me nervous. So glad they were able to remove it.
The rings are so lovely.
xoxo bj

Annesphamily said...

Ouch! I am sorry you had to experience that! But your rings are both lovely and glad the jeweler could repair your ring!

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

Wow! I had never seen this contraption or process of cutting a ring off a finger before. Thanks for posting!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Ow ow ow -- hurts to think about -- yikes! I might have had to have anesthesia (I wonder if jewelers can do that ;>)... seriously, it really does look scary and I'm glad you've recovered.
I take all mine off when I work because I lost my wedding ring the first year we were married (found it three months
later in a dish I'd been washing apparently and hadn't used again until the day I found it).

Both your rings are beautiful.

vintage said...

your ring is so nice.........

Diamond Jewellery Supplier said...

Well, cutting that ring was fine because you got a beautiful jewellery piece there! Thank you for sharing this post!

Bridget said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bridget said...

Now, that’s scary. Thanks to you, I would now remember to take off my rings every once in a while. We really should learn to take care of our fingers as well as the jewelry that we value so much. Thank goodness there’s always a bottle of lotion nearby. I sincerely hope you will not undergo the same ordeal again.

Bridget Rossi

Rochel Faltus said...

Ooh! I can’t imagine myself and my wedding ring going through that kind of situation. That’s just awful! Well, this simply tells you that you really need to take off your ring sometimes. You don't need to wear it all the time. You can simply take care of it by doing this.