Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Vintage Thursday-Back In Time





Going back in time with Coloradolady on Vintage Thingies Thursday. Each Thursday many of her friends gather and show off  their vintage wares.  When you click her image, wonderful things will be found at http://coloradolady.blogspot.com.


I am sure some of you would have a bright idea as to how to use these old scales. I did not buy them, just snapped a photo for VTT.


This is an old vintage tractor I spotted. However, the method of farming we used would make this a modern convenience.  This is  the only way I remember plowing our land.


While our dad was plowing, we walked behind dropping  seed.  Later back to cover the seed.  Each different  process was done by hand.




Thought far the day:  The purpose of life is to discover your gift.  The meaning of life is to give it away.
Turn words into wisdom.


11 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I adore this quote, and it is so true!!! I like that bright red shiny scale, though I usually avoid scales! I would like to have this one around though.

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

Love the quote! I learned it as - "Your talent in life is your gift from God. What you do with it is your gift to God." Great vintage finds!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

It was all about having a good horse. In my Great Aunt's diaries she gave all the names and told what they did.

RachelD said...

I remember being so proud to be promoted to "seed dropper" after a couple of years following behind my Mammaw to do the cover-up and press-down.

She had plowed that whole big garden herself, with a little push-plow that she shoved through that rich dirt---I think it had started out as old Mississippi Gumbo, but after a couple of decades of her plowing in loads of sand from out at in the hills, and great big doses from the pile of several-years decayed chicken manure at the old home place, it was really like crumbly cake, and made the best tomatoes on this Earth.

(Those, however, were always started in a "cold frame" with seeds carefully saved from the biggest and juiciest and best tasting from last year). And when she transplanted the plants to the garden rows, she always put the stake IN THE HOLE with the plant---only time I've ever seen anybody else do it like that.

Nice memory---thanks.

Anonymous said...

Love the tractor!

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Such hard, physical work & so hard for us to imagine these days, we are so removed from where our food comes from.

I have a photo of my dad when he was little ... looks about four years old, is that possible? ... in the family farm with his two little cousins, picking berries.

Happy VTT!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

farming must have been quite an experience. At least the soil is dry. In South East Asia. It is all water logged.

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Love your story about plowing. I remember my dad planting the garden, but I was more involved in shelling the peas and shucking the corn!!!

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Memories of old days farming. My father shares similar ones. What changes you've seen. These days, tractors are comfy!

LindyLouMac said...

A fascinating post, the old ways always seem so much more interesting.

Chubskulit Rose said...

I love that last photo, reminds me of my childhood!