Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday




Time really is passing much too fast. Seems I just published Vintage Thingies Thursday with Coloradolady, and here it is again.






This metal sign was painted back in the late 50s or early 60s. My brother-in-law's father was a sign painter. This is a sign that he painted for the gate into Graceland. Later on the this sign needed replacing. The fans were writing all over it, scratching it, and the weather was not helping. When it was replaced, they gave my brother-in-law's father the sign back. Only difference, Elvis signed the back for him. The following is the signature that is on the back of this sign. I could not get it too well, is why I am showing more than one shot.




I recently had the privilege of visiting in the home of a lady that worked at Graceland for 15 years. She worked there from 1987 to 1992. Elvis passed away in 1977. Therefore, she did not work during his lifetime. The following nicely framed, original pictures of Elvis hang in her home. She has an "Elvis room". She had too many different things for me to share with you. She has several hand written, personal notes from Priscilla as well as pictures taken with her. When she was working there Priscilla was her boss. This lady was in charge of the tour guide operation as well all the security for Graceland. When she retired in 1992, they gave her some of the many things she treasures. She has very special memories of Elvis's family and history.






Most people walk in and out of your life --- but, FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

34 comments:

Postcardy said...

Your sign is really a unique Elvis souvenir.

Teresa said...

WHat a great story! And great memorabilia.

CC said...

Ohh, what a great story and such wonderful memories.

Heart2Heart said...

LV,

What a great story to pass along to your readers and what a priveledge to say you have Elvis' autograph on the back of a Graceland parking sign.

Great nostalgia!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Jocelyn said...

You last phrase is so true. Thanks for the Elvis tour.


Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

★Carol★ said...

Wow, your brother-in-law is a lucky man to have all of that great Elvis memorabilia! Sounds like the Presley family was very generous and kind!
Happy VTT!
Carol

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

LV, that sign is a treasure!

I know what you mean about time passing so quickly. I cannot believe it is almost Thanksgiving. The older I get, the faster time travels!!!

Abatevintage said...

LV wow what a wonderful treasure. That sign is the neatest thing, many fans righting there names in history, and having a peice of history is trully a wonderful gift.

Lovely post

*®*´¯`•.¸¸.♫• Happy Holidays ♫•.¸¸.•´¯`*®*
♥´¨)¸.+´¸.•*´¨)¸.+*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.+´♥♥¸.+´
¸.•*´¨)¸.+*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.+´♥ Heidi ♥)

Unknown said...

WOW! That is a totally unique Elvis souvenir!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

That is so neat, LV... Just seeing that sign with 'his' signature is special!!!! And knowing the lady who worked at Graceland is special also...

Thanks for sharing, LV.
Hugs,
Betsy

Sunny said...

What a treasure you have, LV. Wonderful memorabilia.
Sunny :)

Jane said...

Thanks for sharing the story about the sign with us. I enjoyed finding out a little more about Elvis and family.

Susan said...

You've been holding out on us, LV. This is a fantastic piece of history. Great story--loved it.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Jane said...

How very cool! This sign is definitely an unusual keepsake!

Jane (artfully graced)

ps Thanks for stopping by today. I'm glad you liked the storm cloud photos. This is an almost daily occurrance in Central Florida...the lightning capital of the US.

Diann said...

What great history behind that sign!

Tussy said...

He is legend!

Debbie said...

The sign is great, definitely a unique collectible.

marian said...

what a FUN post..that sign's a real treasure!

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh what a fun sign and the history of it is even MORE fun!!! Thanks for showing it to us!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! It's Elvis! What a wonderful piece of modern history (actually, I guess it's not so modern after all). Time is indeed, flying by much too quickly.

Anonymous said...

How cool!!!! Love the sign with Elvis' signature!

Allison said...

All of this Elvis memorabilia is nice to see. But, I think your autographed Elvis sign is the most interesting. It has a unique story attached to it.

Coloradolady said...

Great post and great pictures....glad you were able to capture the signature....

Have a great VTT and a wonderful holiday week ahead!

cristina said...

LV, this has to be the coolest VTT post EVER. That sign is amazing!! I would love to see what the fans signed on it. What a family treasure. I'd love to hear more about what the lady had in her house on the 'King'. Thank you for such a treat of a post!

PS: I too have that stamp, see, I'm an Elvis fan myself....

ClassyChassy said...

Too Cool! My hubby sold 2 used tickets and a souvenir program to an Elvis concert he went to many years ago - got $200 on Ebay for the tickes alone. Elvis is just as popular now as he ever was - perhaps even more so.

Unknown said...

What a great sign to have with the autograph on the back. And the other memorabilia in the lady's house is fantastic. I really enjoyed this great post!

Vonlipi said...

That is an amazing souvenir. Thank you so much for sharing. It brought me back to November 1991 when I visited Graceland...

concretenprimroses said...

What a fun thing to have and a fun post to read too!
Kathy

Unknown said...

Wow....what an incredible momento you own!

My Grama's Soul said...

Wow - what a great piece of memorabilia. I LOVED Elvis and your post brought back fond memories.

Have a great VTT

Jo

Maureen said...

I liked the sign even before I read the story! Great post!

ThriftyAnnabella said...

Very interesting story and souvenier

Kim, USA said...

Wow that sign is a treasure and also some of the memorabilia. How I wish I could visit Graceland someday. Thanks for leaving a comment at my site I do appreciate it.

George said...

That sign is a very unique souvenir. I think it's neat that Elvis signed the back. Thanks for the memories.