Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Outdoor Wednesday


Outdoor Wednesday hosted by Susan, A Southern Daydreamer, is a beautiful way to see so much of what nature has to offer. This time of the year, everyone has a lot of breathtaking fall sights to share with us.



Recently, my sister and I had the pleasure of visiting this small piece of our world. Homestead Heritage, the pace of modern life slows to what it was like in pioneer days. It is a working community that believes in a simple life and using the land to produce everything needed to survive.

You travel down a winding, scenic drive and enter through this entrance.

This is the style of their homes which you are not allowed to visit. They all live on the grounds away from where visitors go.

An old water wheel used for power. They do have electricity available.

One of many animals they have on the farms. They use draft horses for farming.

This is a 1760s restored gristmill where whole flour and meal or ground.

An old wood burning heater used for heating purposes.

A neat weather vane showing a man plowing the fields, which is exactly what they do.

They even offer classes on how to milk a cow or goat.

What old chicken wouldn't like to live in a coop like this. You notice it even has steps up into the house. Very modern version of a chicken house.

The wood shop was inspiring. They do not use any machinery powered by electricity. Everything is done the old fashion way, by hand. They conduct classes and people come from all over the world to learn their skills.

I thought this was a beautiful chest that was being made for a customer. They do beautiful custom work for those that can afford it. However, it turned out to be the tool chest that the teacher had built to hold his tools. I could not believe that lovely piece of furniture was made for tools.

As you will note, no nails are used. It is all wood throughout.

They are very skilled in pottery making, sewing, quilting, baking, making soaps, candles etc. All these beautifully handmade items are for sale. Also, within the complex is a wonderful little restaurant that serves the very best of food. All the food is prepared from the things that are grown there. The ice cream is homemade, hand-dipped, no store made stuff. I can truthfully say, I have never eaten in a restaurant as clean as this one was.

This wonderful pioneer-inspired working village, that allows guest to enjoy their old-fashioned ways, is located in Elm Mott, Texas. It is situated on 500 acres near the Brazos River north of Waco. They are not Amish, as I asked. Just living a plain old simple way of life, and doing it very well.

31 comments:

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh LV!
Sweetie thank you for taking me on this wonderful trip this evening. I tried milking a cow once, I would have died from thirst I am afraid or the cow would have burst she would be so full, because I could not express a drop, no not one. I really tried.

My Grandma would have had a fit, to know that the chickens now have steps up to their coops. That was never in the olden days. Those are some pretty fancy chicken coops. I so love the simplistic look of the homes. They are simple and plain, but practical and clean looking. I loved that old stove in that barn area. My gosh was it ever beautiful.

Thanks for the tour. Glad I could tag along. I had a beautiful time sweetie. Stop by and say hi. Country hugs, Sherry

Betsy Banks Adams said...

How neat, LV. I think there are parts of all of us who yearn for a simpler lifestyle like that. I admire them!!!!

Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

Ebie said...

Hi LV, this is an interesting post! I love that furniture without nails.
Thanks for this tour!

sherri@lavenderfields said...

Wow! What a step back in time. I am in awe of the craftsmanship of the dresser drawer! You just don't see quality like that. Looks like a very peaceful and fun day! Hope you are having a good week and Happy Outdoor Wednesday! Thanks for sharing that : ) Sherri

Shirley said...

Very interesting. They are similar to the Amish I guess in that they are "plain" and live simply.

Rebekah@Red's Nest said...

I've never heard of this place and I live just about an hour and a half from Waco. I think I've just found a new place to visit. I cannot wait. Thank you so much for sharing this. My husband and I love to take weekend trips and this would make a perfect one.

Unknown said...

I gotta say I am pretty amazed at what I just read and saw... Its not for me, but its interesting to see. I couldn't get over that fantastic tool chest! My Gosh... He must regard his tools as a woman would regard her jewelry. Great OW post! Have a great rest of the week
~Really Rainey~

claudie said...

Hi LV
Oh I would so buy one of those chicken coops. I would put the cats in there when they need some fresh air. Might lock hubby in too lol
Great tour.
Happy OW
Love Claudie
xoxo

Light and Voices said...

Gone are days of craftsmanship which seems to be the norm here. Nice job!
Joyce M

Sarah said...

Thanks for taking us along on this adventure. I'm a Texan but I've never been to Elm Mott. I'll have to plan a weekend trip to see this. ~ Sarah

The Quintessential Magpie said...

LV, this is such a neat, neat place to visit. Loved seeing all of it. I think that furniture is gorgeous. My BIL used to build furniture as a hobby, and he used the old tools, too.

Happy Outdoor Wed. to you...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hello LV...

Ohhh my...what a lovely trip that must have been! I am so intriqued by anyone who chooses to live this lifestyle! I think I am too soft and too spoiled...I admit it! I am in awe of all their handmade wares! That piece of furniture is simply fabulous...and you say that it was being made to house tools? Ohhh my!!! It sounds like you had a terrific time...such a delightful day! Mmmm...and to top it all off...homemade ice cream! Yummy!!!

Thank you for sharing your trip to the Brazos de Dios! I would love to visit there some day!!!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

bj said...

OMGoodness, LV....what a beautiful community. I just knew they were Amish until the end of your post.
I know you must have had a wonderful time...and your photos are so good. Thanks for sharing this.

eileeninmd said...

Very nice tour, I love the water wheel. Great photos.

Hootin Anni said...

A tool chest made like this? Whoa Nelly!! I think that might just inspire me to do some mechanical stuff!!

My O W is a nearby marshland with waterfowl and Autumn colors...and a surprise L N Monster visit!!!

Come by and see

Chubskulit Rose said...

Is it like an Amish community?

I explored the Jogging trail this time.

Anonymous said...

Oh how beautiful!!! Thank you so much for sharing.

Coloradolady said...

I want to go here too, looks like a wonderful place to spend the afternoon....great tour....love the pictures.

Ms. Bake-it said...

Hello LV,

What a fascinating tour of Homestead Heritage. Looks like a place I would like to visit. What an awesome tool chest! My father would love it. My aunt and uncle recently built a chicken coop similar to the one you posted. Quite a nifty home her "girls" as she calls them!

Thank you for the tour!

~ Tracy

SmilingSally said...

What an adventure, LaVoice. Thanks for taking me along. I was especially impressed with that tool chest.

erin's art and gardens said...

a simpler way of life and better off for it! wonderful post!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your post today was fascinating. It's the kind of place I love to visit when I can. Your photos and cybertour were wonderful. Thanks for sharing your day with us. Have a great outdoor Wednesday.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

What an interesting community! I enjoyed looking at your photos and learning about the Homstrad Heritage. That chest is beautiful! Those must be very specail tools for that the man who is buying it for that reason.

Happy Veterans Day - Happy Outdoor Wednesday!

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

That chicken coop is nicer than my first two houses.

I'd love to visit that place, but would not care to live such a hard lifestyle! Just spoiled, I guess!

Martha Z said...

A very interestin post. I enjoy these places. We've been to a shaker village and old Stubridge in Massachuettes, Williamsburg in Virginia and many others.

GwendolynKay said...

What a fun and interesting trip! As always thanks for sharing:)
Blessings!
Gwen

Mollye said...

Ya know LV, as much as I relish all the conveniences we have today and feel blessed to the nth degree I still think these folks have the right idea. How wonderful it must be to know bliss as they do. We have so many battles in the world to fight and they seem to be in a little Utopia. I admire their hardworking values too. Thanks for sharing, Warm hugs on Wednesday, Mollye

Kat said...

I was going to ask if this was an Amish community. I spent my high school years near an Amish community and always loved to visit. What a neat place, thanks for sharing this. It's not far from us and I think our niece might get a kick out of it. Kathy

Heart2Heart said...

LV,

It does remind me of the Amish lifestyle. How wonderful it would be if we would all look at what we can do to get back to the basics and start living a more carefree life.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Looks like a fun place to visit, but would not want to live like that. Guess I am spoiled. :) Thanks for the tour.

Beth at Aunties said...

LV,
I love going back to the simpler things of life. I know the physical work was harder but I can imagine the joy they flet when they truly accomplished a fullday of work.
We have a Wheeler Farm I love to take our own grandchildren to. My own children lovd to go work there.
Thanks for sharing~♥