Monday, October 13, 2014

Rubbish Tuesday/1910 Vintage Sewing Machine


Today's rubbish/vintage feature is very special.  Trust you enjoy going back in time of a dear friend and neighbor of mine, Joyce. It involves history of a 1910 Singer Sewing Machine. Many other neat things can be found at http://rubbishbyroan.blogspot.com




 Joyce's, grandmother was born May 2, 1880, and passed away on July 4, 1956.  During her lifetime, she bought a Singer Sewing machine. After her death, the machine was passed around among her children, one of which was Joyce's father. Being a man, he was not interested in a sewing machine.  It traveled through Arkansas, Oklahoma, La Vegas and Texas among different family members before it finally came to rest in Oklahoma with Joyce's aunt.   It was seldom used by any of these and sometimes just in storage.

When Joyce's aunt, daughter of  her grandmother, passed away, the machine rested with Joyce's sister in Oklahoma. It has been there about ten years with no usage. Due to this sister's declining health, some of the things are being auctioned off.  Due to this situation, Joyce finally got the machine she has wanted all these years back in Texas. The following photos were taken after it arrived.

Joyce is a special 85 year old lady that enjoys sewing.  She already had a treadle sewing machine and two portables, but this one is her "dream machine". 





 

24 comments:

GranthamLynn said...

Very cool machine. Great post. Thanks for your sweet comments on my Boys in Blue!
Have a good week.
Sherry

TexWisGirl said...

it's awesome. my mother had a cabinet similar to that one and a newer free-standing old singer that operated by electricity she used on it.

Roan said...

Amazing machine! My sister-in-law has a similar Singer. She uses it as a table for knick knacks. My brother bet her he could make her a dress on it and he did. She actually wore it once, too. lol Enjoyed your post!

Penelope Postcards said...

Wow … this Singer sewing machine looks a lot like a newer model of the one my mom had years ago. It, too, seemed to outlive its usefulness and eventually was given away for what I hope was a new life as an icon of days gone by.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

I am happy for Joyce - it is now where it belongs to one who will cherish it.

I love the wood on that - sure can't find wood like that anymore!

Cranberry Morning said...

What a wonderful old machine! We have two old treadle sewing machines but it's hard to find anyone who knows how to fix them. We're checking with some Amish neighbors. It's so nice to hear that the machine finally was united with one who will love it!

Tom said...

I know many Amish women who sew on a Singer like this one. Tom The Backroads Traveller

Adam said...

sure is vintage, that's for sure

sallie (fulltime-Life.com) said...

It's a beautiful machine -- just a fine example of old-time craftsmanship. I'm sure glad Joyce got it at last -- and that she uses it; that is truly amazing! So few of us sew any more at all, let alone on a treadle machine.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Beautiful vintage sewing machine with a long and interesting history. I'm glad Joyce was able to get it back to enjoy it!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Will she actually use it? Does it even still work? I inherited a very similar one from my family.

Ginny Hartzler said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest LV,
What a journey this sewing machine made! My Grandmother had one like that and I inherited it but did not take it across the ocean since it was a family heirloom. Don't even know where it is now, gave it to my brother, together with an oak coat rack for which I had made a beautiful backdrop cloth.
If I regret one thing, it is that I have not taken those two favorite pieces with me... If the others did not cherish them; why did I think it ought to stay in the family on the other side?
Hugs,
Mariette

Diana said...

I learnt to sew on one of those that my grandmother owned. I was so proud to be able to use it, there's quite a knack to getting the rhythm. Lovely to see one again, even in a picture. A great story as well.

Diana

Leovi said...

Yes, my mother has a Singer sewing machine, but in better shape than this! Even use it!

Minoru Saito said...

Hi! Very impressive captures. Singer is very famous in our country too. Thanks for sharing.

bj said...

We have Mr. Sweet's mother's old machine....and I have my mother's newer but still old Singer.

Gerald (SK14) said...

my mother used to have one of those

Anonymous said...

Oh. wow. We had an antique Singer like this one, when I was a child. I wonder what happened to it! Nice!

A Colorful World said...

The Singer is absolutely beautiful! I know she will love and take care of it.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow---what a neat old sewing machine... Definitely not rubbish!!!! Hope Joyce can find someone else in her family to pass that one on to.... LOVE it...

Hugs,
Betsy

Tanya Breese said...

i enjoyed this post! my mom had her grandmother's old sewing machine.

betty-NZ said...

What a great old machine! My grandma had one with pedal power that we loved to play with. I bought a '57 singer when I first got to NZ in 2006 and it still works just fine. They don't make 'em like they used to!

Amy Burzese said...

Wonderful story. This is a bit older than the one I have that was my grandmother's.