Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Shave & Hair Cut

It is vintage day with Coloradolady. It is always such a fun day seeing what others will find that might have been forgotten. Check them out at http://coloradolady.blogspot.com.
How times and ways have changed. When I was growing up, shaving was mostly done with straight razors. Lathered your face and try to avoid cutting it. Speaking of cutting, the tale is that a barber's services were indicated by blood-stained bandages drying around a pole. The red-and-white pole signs are still around today.


This is a similar strap that was used to sharpen the razor. My dad practiced this method for years.

Of course, we still have barbers today, they just use different methods and styles. Also, the prices have considerably changed.

12 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

That barber pole story is bloody good!!

Annesphamily said...

This is a great post LV! You really post the best stuff! I see old fashioned barber shops springing up everywhere!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Straight razors were before my day I can remember dad lathering up but he used a saftey razor. I found that bit about the barbers pole interesting. The pize of a trip to the barbor has really changed

Michelle@ A Full Cottage said...

We learned the story of the barber's pole in beauty school, grusome indeed! My grandfater was a barber and my dad still tells the stories of going into "Pa's barber shop". Thanks so much for the trip down memory lane!

:) Michelle

SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla said...

Wow, interesting!

Easter greetings from Australia♥

Diann said...

Fun post LV! My hubby likes to collect vintage barber items. I hope you and your family have a happy and blessed Easter!

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Great post! You hardly ever see a barber pole anymore. We had one at the barber shop in our town that recently closed, so now it's gone. :-(

Annie said...

No longer "Shave and a haircut—two bits!" And men get haircuts in many of the same places as women do today, instead of going to a barbershop. Times sure have changed! My father would never have been caught dead in a "salon"!

Ruth...Time Was Antiques said...

A fun reminder of the way that was normal just a few decades ago. Great fun post!
Ruth

Sue McPeak said...

Shave and a Hair Cut! Can you imagine if that were advertised today. The guys would think wonder why you would cut hair before shaving one's head. I've never seen so many bald and shaved heads. Myself...I like a guy with some hair on his head and not so much on his face. Great post...loved it...Sue

VaishVijay said...

Thatz an amazing reflection on yr rear mirror!

Mecky said...

I have a razor strap that I use to have hanging next to the bathroom mirror!
I had to learn to use a straight edge razor but hardly ever had to use it. I did when I cut my DFIL's hair. Wonder if I would still be able to do it!!