Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday



Thursday of each week the bloggers meet with Coloradolady at her Vintage Thingies Thursday. You are invited to join us for vintage sights never seen before.






This vintage Webster Collegiate Dictionary is a 1948 edition. Over the years, the name on the front has weathered away. My sister graduated from high school in May, 1949, and immediately entered the Elliot Business College. One of her teachers, a Mrs. Wright, gave each of her students a dictionary. I do not know why I have it and not her.





VINTAGE FRIENDS

The remainder of my blog involves a vintage friendship and true story. In the early 60's, my sister and her husband were living in Missouri. Another family, that I will call the Browns, were their neighbors. They became close, dear friends. Over the years, they have both moved to various other locations. However, they never lost contact and kept in touch.

While they were all in Missouri, a beautiful baby girl was born to the Browns. After a few months, the child became very ill. She had to be hospitalized. They did not know what was wrong with her, or even if she would live. She remained in the hospital for quite some time. She had to have around the clock private nurses. This became very costly for the family. My sister and her husband visited them often at the hospital and helped when they could.

One night as they were leaving the hospital, my sister's husband pressed something in the mother's hand as he shook it. It was a $50 bill to help pay on the private nurses care. Remember all this happened over 40 years ago.

Last week my sister and husband received a card from the Brown family. I am quoting what they said: "We can't remember ever paying you back the $50.00. Please accept this with our love and thanks. We have tried to pass your kindness on to others over the years." Instead of one $50, she included two.

My sister and her husband could not believe this. They had never given it a another thought. In turn, they are making a donation to St. Jude Children Hospital in honor of the girl.

The girl is now over 40 years of age. However, due to very high fever during her illness, she has the mind of a three year old. As she got older, she had to be placed in a special care facility. She gets to come home for special occasions. Her family is very faithful and loving to her.

If a 40+ years of friendship is not vintage, I am not sure what is. I think it is truly remarkable when such a bond is formed. To me, that is way more important than any vintage material possessions. With all the turmoil we have in our world today, it is nice to know there are still some really good people out there. It never hurts to be kind to someone, as you never know when it will come back to you.


Same sister, just a different song.

23 comments:

Jocelyn said...

What a sweet story! I love to hear about such wonderful lasting friendships. In our day and time, even that has gone by the wayside. Thanks for sharing.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Postcardy said...

That's a sweet story.

★Carol★ said...

What a wonderful story LV! It sure does renew my faith, that there really are good people out there still. Thank you so much for sharing this "vintage" friendship!

Heart2Heart said...

LV,

I would love to have you post this on my ARK for God blog. It is these simple acts that go along way to show the simplest gestures that people can do each and every day. I hope you visit and post it there.

http://ark4god.blogspot.com

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Janet, said...

what a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.

Maureen said...

Imagine that! After all that time! What goes around comes around...

CC said...

What a sweet,beautiful and loving story. It's the best vintage there is.

Teresa said...

Wow! What a great story. It is amazing how a small act of kindness can mean so much. They must be great people.

farmlady said...

Giving in lovingkindness will always return to the hand that gave..., or be passed on, as an example, to someone else. That's a "vintage" lesson that is priceless.

marian said...

what a beautiful story of enduring friendship..a priceless gift! thank you for sharing x

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

That story is vintage, indeed, and it is pure gold. Thank you for sharing it. What a sweetie your sister and her husband are, and what good people the "Browns" are, too...kind of renews my faith in folks...

Coloradolady said...

Yes...how did you end up with the book? That is the story I want to know...ask the sister who will definitely know!!!

Nice story....very impressive after all this time!

Anonymous said...

I have that same dictionary that I got from my grandmother's house!

What a sweet story about the family.

Kathi Fly said...

Sweet story! Nice to know there are such nice people out there and it proves we should look around and be thankful for what we have.

SmilingSally said...

I l❤ve your story! Kindness returned is love in action.

BTW: that dictionary must be fascinating to read since our language is ever-changing. (That's the English teacher in me coming out!)

Jingle said...

Wow! That is quite the story! Thank you so much for sharing it! And that dictionary is wonderful!

Lisa said...

Your dictionary is a wonderful treasure. It must mean a lot to you for you to hang on to it. I hope to have friendships like yours. It seems today life moves so fast that people don't take time to form real relationships.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Great story and thanks for sharing it with us.

ClassyChassy said...

That is a remarkable story!!! I loved reading it. Last spring, mom and I went to a restaurant, and a Hispanic woman was clearing tables. She dropped a whole pile of dishes (they would not let her use a pan and cart to wheel them to the kitchen). She was so embarrassed...Anyways, I felt called to give her some money, and before we left the restaurant, I walked up to her and handed her all the money I had in my wallet right then. She started crying and gave me a big hug when I told her it was for HER (and not the waitress)....I do believe that God communicates with us when we are open to it and obey...I will never know what it meant to her that day, but perhaps some day, when we are all in eternity, it will be revealed.

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

I loved seeing the vintage dictionary. I love old books!

And what a precious story of a "vintage" friendship. That's wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Debbie said...

Such a nice story. I would love to have "vintage" friends like that.

GwendolynKay said...

What a wonderful story... of friendship and human kindness. BLessings!
Gwen

Unknown said...

You know how I love old books, and the old dictionaries are so much better than what is out there today.
Thanks for sharing that wonderful story.