Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Tuesday With MeMe

 Did You Know...

The first blender was used to make milkshakes in 1992.  It was invented by Stephen Poplawski, who had the idea of putting a spinning blade at the bottom of a container that could automatically mix up ingredients.

Giraffes can gallop as fast as a horse. They can also sleep standing up, although they might choose to lean against a tree to do so. These handsome animals live in herds and are found on the plains of East Africa.

The Golden Arrow was a fast car in its day. Only one was made and it broke the land speed record in 1929 in the city of Daytona, Florida.  It hit a speed of 231mph which at the time, was quite a record.

People do not have much to fear when it comes to honeybees, unless they have an allergy to bee stings.  Bees only sting if they feel threatened, unlike yellow jackets and wasps, which are more aggressive.

English author, Agatha Christie, (1890-1976) wrote more then 70 detective novels, as well as short story collections, plays and poems.  Her work has been translated in 100 different languages and her books continue to be popular today.

 

12 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

the dallas zoo with its newest giraffe baby is getting a lot of media attention this week. :) horses sleep standing up, too, although they will also lay down to rest.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am loving your facts!! I had no idea the blender is so recent! In fact, my first blender experience was a big shock! I got shocked so bad that I was knocked into the opposite wall! I love your facts!!! I may copy them and put them on our church line.

Heart2Heart said...

I love all these fun facts. Who knew cars could drive that fast in 1929?

Stopping by to wish one of my favorite women of all time, a beautiful and blessed day.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Ruth Hiebert said...

Thanks for sharing these interesting tidbits of information.

NanaDiana said...

Wow! That was a fast car. I think there is one typo here, LV. I think that blender was 1922? I had no idea that Agatha Christie wrote that many many books, etc.

Hope you have a wonderful day- xo Diana

Adam said...

the photo of the dog is too cute

also 231mph was pretty good for 1929

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest LV,
Indeed, the blender is but 70 years older than you wrote here; 1922.
It only teaches us how awfully fast time is passing us by!
Sending you hugs,
Mariette

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I have wondered about giraffes..it seems like it would be a lot of work to get up and get down..poor things...I know they need those long necks to eat leaves, but still!

Jeanne said...

Hello LV, Your facts certainly made me smile. The speed of 231 miles per hour in 1929 is amazing.

The dog riding a hobby horse is a hoot.

Love your post today.

Wishing you a happy weekend my sweet friend.
Love, Jeanne

Edna B said...

I love your little known facts. That sort of history is quite interesting. And I love that photo of the little dog riding the hobby horse.

Your trees are blossoming much sooner than ours. We're still working on producing lots of tiny green buds. One of these mornings, I'll look out and all the trees will be covered with leaves.

Today we got our first blooms in the little garden by the front door. A little bunch of daffodils all starting to blossom. Oh how beautiful they are.

You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I love reading Agatha Christie -- they are the perfect escape reading. She also has the longest-running play ever, 'the mousetrap' still playing on a London stage after about a hundred years (I forgot how long really, but its'a long long time).

Annesphamily said...

Oh I love this! Such a sweet treat today! I am always running behind with my posts but I so love it! I love facts like this and my cousin was following the birth of the giraffe and watched that birth live from the Dallas Zoo on a live cam! I think giraffe's are such interesting creatures! When I was dreaming over my Tony Lama boots, I found a place on line that sells lots of boots including giraffe skin! Oh no! I would never want to wear those! Goodness, I imagine people with lots of money will do anything ! You are precious!