Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Hands of Time





(Click me)

Trust each of you that participate or visit Coloradolady are having a nice, cool week.  When you visit http://coloradolady.blogspot.com  you will find many interesting and hot vintage goodies.


This is an antique Sessions clock from the 1920s. This clock has come full circle.  Back in the early 80"s my late husband worked on clocks.  He seemed to enjoy working on the older ones.  This is one that he had bought and repaired.  Tryng to deccided on a gift for my sister and her husband, he felt this would be nice.  They have had it since the  mid 80's. 

My sister lives in Mississippi and they are in the process of downsizing and moving.  She is making sure some of the things stay in our family, such as this clock.  My other sister, that lives in my area, visited them recently and brought the clock back to me. The circle is not yet complete.  I am letting my son have it since it was important in the life of his dad.  It runs and keeps time perfectly.  Only problem, my sister that brought it to  me. lost the key that you need to wind it.

I called a clock place. The owner said they would have a key to fit it.  I just needed to bring in.  Bear in mind, my sister vowed she put the key in the back of the clock.  However, it was not to be found when my sister here and I looked.  I even got a flashlight in order to look more closely.  No key. I was very careful with the clock as I know nothing about them and did not want to brake something. Got it to the clock place and they did have a key to fit.  However, when he turned the clock upside down to check something else, guess what?  The original key fell out of the back of the clock.  It had gotten hung on the backside of the clock parts and you could not see it. What a shock and surprise.

The clock is now safely in the hands of my son.
CIRCLE IS COMPLETE


19 comments:

SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla said...

Such a lovely clock :) Nice story too! What a surprise with the key :)
~Pernilla

Jill said...

Things like that need to be kept in the family! Nice post!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

We have a clock almost identical to that one --which was in G's family... His daughter wants it --once we pass it on. It is a great clock and keeps good time and the strike is beautiful....

Oh how I love old clocks. I also have the clock which belonged to my parents... I hope it stays in the family also...

Hugs,
Betsy

It's Just Dottie said...

I love clocks !! My home is filled with the sound of their chimes. For some reason they comfort me. Smiles,Dottie

Ruth Hiebert said...

No doubt this is a precious item for all in the family but even more so for your son.

Sally Annie Magundy said...

How wonderful the clock your dear husband repaired and gifted, now lives with your son, such a sweet post LV! And yippie for the finding of the key!

Happy VTT!

RachelD said...

How I love the chime of our clock, especially in the night---reminds me of Mammaw's house.

What a lovely "circle of time" the clock has made, and how nice it's living on with another generation.

rachel

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

What a great story! how wonderful that it stayed in the family!

Stitches said...

The clock is beautiful and I'm glad it made the full trip..nice to keep items in the family..

Ashley said...

This is a lovely clock, and reminds me so much of the one my mom has on her mantle.

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

That is a very pretty clock, glad you kept it in the family.What part of Mississippi does your sister live in-I am in the central area.

Bunny Jean said...

That is a lovely old clock with great memories. I am glad you found the original key and it works. Love the chimes of old clocks!

Thanks for visiting my Dolly Dingle paper doll 4th post :)

xoxo Bunny Jean

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

So glad you could pass it on down in the family- so many times items like this end up in an antique shop!

Antiques And Teacups said...

What a great story! My husband used to repair old clocks as a hobby....he was a certified English diamond setter before he retired, and did clocks for friends and worked/repaired/refitted ones we acquired for sale in our antique shop. That's the sort of clock he enjoyed. How fun you could find the key, because they are getting harder to find! I know your son will enjoy it and thanks for sharing,
Ruth

Heirloom treasures said...

What a lovely story,I so enjoy reading about such things. How lovely for you son,to have something his dad fixed up. Nice of your sister too,to give it back.
Thank you for you visit and sweet comments about my dolls. Sad you never had a doll though,it's never too late to haver one. Believe it or not,I was a bit of a tom boy as a child and didn't appreciate my dolls. Now as an adult I love them to bits. Between you and I, I even talk to them :)Have a nice weekend xxoo

George said...

What a great story. We have a very similar clock, but I'm not sure either of my children are interested in having it.

Annesphamily said...

I love clocks and this family one has come full circle for you and yours!

Kranky Granny said...

Such a lovely story. I'm sure you son is pleased.

Carie (Buddie) said...

Oh how I miss Pap. I will never forget all the sounds he use to let me hear and things he would teach me while working on clocks. He had so many that wanted him to repair their clocks because he could fix any and all kinds. To this day I love clocks and think of my pap! Talk about a precious time piece....My pap! I am so glad daddy has this clock now and that Linda has decided to display it in Pap's honor. I love you, Meme....
Carie